Are you a parent who is looking to buy a drum set for your kid but do not want an expensive one to begin with?
Or, are you an adult who’s searching for a beginner drum set under budget to start your own musical journey? Whatever be the case, we have got your back.
In this article, you will find some of the best beginner drum set reviews that will not make a hole in your pocket.
There are many reviews out there about the best drum sets for beginners in the market.
But here, in this article, we have put up a list of the 9 best cheap drum sets for beginners after thorough research.
We have not only gone through some of the best beginner drum sets for adults but for kids too who want to learn and practice their hearts out without burning a hole in their parents’ pockets.
So, why do you need a drum set, be it a 3-piece or a 5-piece? Are these really affordable and helpful? Can these be used for long term practice?
We know these are the questions that will be coming to your mind right now. But no worries, we are here to help you out.
First things first, if you really are looking to beat drums but cannot afford to have a full expensive set, then the following list is curated just for you.
The list consists of different inexpensive beginner drum sets that are under $500 only.
However, drum sets come with essential hardware components and accessories that can be customized and arranged in different ways as per your need.
These necessary parts generally include the bass pedal, hi-hat stand, snare stand along with a cymbal stand. You will be getting all of these together under such a low price range.
Secondly, a beginner’s drum set is poles apart in looks and usage from a professional drummer. A beginner cheap drum set just fulfills the purpose of your basic skills.
Whereas, a veteran drum set needs a few additional hardware parts to polish their skills. Both ways, they need a good quality drum set that can be used for over the years.
We know the drill and trust us, we have discussed some of the best drum sets here that are made with durable material. And, if taken good care, these can beat for years longer than your expectation.
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
For the first budget-friendly entry-level drum set on the list, we have the Pearl Roadshow RS525SC.
The Pearl is among those few companies that produce durable good quality drum sets of great value for money.
This is a 5-piece complete drum set with a brass cymbal, a drum throne, hi-hats, drumsticks, 3 tom holders, and a bass drum pedal.
Though it contains a complete collection with all the accessories, sometimes customers complain about not getting a proper drum throne and cymbals in the set.
So, do check out for the miss while buying. The double-braced drum legs are quite sturdy to take up the weight of the drums while at the same time being height and angle adjustable.
It also has a 9-ply seven millimeters white poplar shell with four different configurations of jazz, rock, fusion, and new fusion.
The Pearl is a widely reputed name in the market for making quality drum sets. Their Roadshow 5-piece drum set is not a different one either.
Also, the drums sound even greater after tuning. So you must go for this one if you’re looking for a great value for the money beginner drum set.
- It comes in various shell configurations with multiple color options to choose from.
- The stock heads and snare can be upgraded later for more skillful practice.
- You can play every type of music with the setup.
- Includes Pearl owned hardware like the hi-hats, crash ride cymbal, and the drum throne.
Want a professional-looking drum set but cannot afford to have one? Don’t worry. We have a great option for you. Be sure to have a look at the PDP By DW 7-Piece drum kit.
This drum shell pack comes with a 20” kick, two 10 and 12 inches rack toms, a 14” floor tom, and a snare.
It also includes the holder receivers, tom mounts, and the floor tom legs. The company claims that the thin drum shells are one hundred percent birch-made. The bearing edges can be adjusted diagonally to 45 degrees.
This durable custom made birch drum kit having a high-glossy lacquer finish is absolutely perfect for any beginner or working professional drummer.
- Available in 5 different color options – honey amber, natural wood, cranberry red, raven black, and pure white.
- Completely birch drum shells consisting of a PDP By DW 7-Piece air seal system.
- Creates a superb sustainable tone because of the low-mass lugs.
Another drum set on the list for juniors who are just starting out is the popular De Rosa DRM312-BK Children’s 3-Piece. It is mainly built to suit children and players of a smaller size.
The 3-piece drum set from De Rosa comes only under 150 bucks with a crash cymbal, hi-hat, and other additional portable hardware like a bass drum pedal.
The hardware is so light that it can be set up within a few moments.
The name Ludwig itself suggests that there is no compromise with the quality of the drum set. So, it is an absolute pick if you are planning to get a compact quality drum kit with light and sturdy hardware.
- Includes light, well built, and portable Ludwig hardware.
- Consists of a 16” bass drum, a 10” crash cymbal, a 12” snare drum, a 10” hi-hat, and three toms of different heights – 8”, 10” and 13” along with the mounting hardware.
- Needs a suitable pair of drumsticks separately.
- Comes in four different color choices – blue, wine, metallic silver foil, and absolute black.
The Mendini MDS80 by Cecilio is a great option for the drummers who are just starting out. This comes as a pocket-friendly full-size kit with drums, stands, cymbals, pedals, drum throne, and drumsticks.
This 5-piece adult drum set contains a bass drum, two tom-toms along with a floor tom, and one matching double-braced snare drum.
It also includes one hi-hat with chain drive stand, crash cymbals, adjustable round padded drum throne, bass drum pedal, and a pair of good quality wooden drumsticks.
There are the triple-flanged hoops and lugs attached to the drums that are black powder-coated giving the set a stylish look and feel.
The warmth and mellower resonance of this drum set will make you fall in love with your practice. So, do not wait anymore and get going with this Mendini MDS80 5-piece adult drum set.
- The drum set is right-out-of-the-box playable one.
- Available in seven basic color choices.
- Made with durable cross laminated poplar shells.
- Perfect for adult beginners.
Talking about another low-cost, entry-level, full-size drum set, we have the 5-piece drum kit from Gammon Percussion. It includes all the necessary components to start playing with just right out of the box.
As the kit is mainly made for adult drummers, the essentials like the bass drum, snare drum, the two adjustable toms, and a floor tom are all full size in length.
For easy dismantling and setting up of the drum set, there are memory locks present on the mounting hardware.
Every drum has a tunable and adjustable drum head, too, both at the top and bottom.
It is one of the best among 300 bucks drum set brackets and just the right kit for beginners. There’s always room for improvement and up-gradation with this set.
- It is a full-size drum kit for adults.
- Attached with adjustable drum heads allowing for tuning to your desired tone and feel.
- Perfect for adult beginners.
- Available in high gloss black and blue finish variants.
Here is Alesis Nitro Mesh drum kit that falls under the best quality cheap drum sets for beginners. It is an electronic drum set that produces way quieter sounds than a traditional acoustic drum kit.
As suggested in the name, the drum heads are built with mesh which is quieter than rubber pads.
This softens the sound, producing a warmer effect, and making the drum play more charmingly.
The e-drum kit comes with a super-solid aluminum rack, connection cables, drum sticks, and a drum key beside the other essentials.
Thus, Alesis has made it possible by introducing a good quality electronic drum kit for beginners in the market that is also a great value for money instruments.
So, without thinking anymore, go grab the best budget-friendly beginner e-drum kit now.
- Easy and quick to handle due to the simple interface of the module.
- Cheapest electronic drum kit for beginners available in the market.
- The nitro mesh kit helps to produce a nice quieter effect, unlike the louder acoustic drums.
- Contains the Nitro drum module with 60 play-along tracks and 385 curated sounds.
- Comes with powerful educational features like a metronome, sequencer, aux input, performance recorder along with 50+ play-along tracks inbuilt.
Rise by Sawtooth is another low-cost beginner’s drum set on the list mainly targeted at adults.
The Rise drum set comes with full size five drums, crash/ride cymbals, bass drum, a hi-hat with pedal, drumsticks, and hardware.
There is also a drum key included helping you to tune the sounds to your desired quality. The hardware includes cymbal stands, bass drum pedal, drum throne, tom arms, and floor tom legs.
The drum shells are built of 6-ply poplar shells with 45-degree adjustable bearing edges.
Like Gammon and Ludwig, the Rise by Sawtooth full-size drum kit, too, fits under the 300 bucks margin. If you are an entry-level adult drummer, then you should surely pick this one.
- Made with 6 ply poplar shells.
- It comes with wholly new shaped cymbals having improved Zildjian ZBT cymbal line features like extensive hammering and fine grooves.
- It can create a medium high-pitched tone because of the deep drum sizes.
- Available in three attractive color choices – pitch black, crimson red, and storm blue sparkle.
Another kid-friendly cheap drum set for beginners is the Best Choice Products 3-Piece Drum set. It is a compact space-saving kit available in three basic color options.
The Best Choice 3-piece Drum products is a complete set that comes with two tom-toms, a bass drum and a cymbal with a pair of drumsticks and a cushioned stool. Though the cymbals are not that great, you can always create perfect sounds by tuning the drums in the right way.
The Best Choice Products is a well known musical instrument manufacturer for children. Certainly, their 3-piece drum kit is one of the best cheap drum sets for kids in the market.
- A cushioned drum stool is present in the kit.
- Comes in three cool color options of blue, red, and black.
- The drum shell is built with an all-wood design material.
- All included hardware is premium quality chrome plated.
While talking about the best budget-friendly drum sets for beginners, you might be amazed to find the GP Percussion instrument on our list.
Though they are least popular in the world of drum brands, their GP55 has created a buzz among entry-level drum sets for juniors.
The GP55WR is a five-piece drum set with cymbals, pedals, sticks, hardware, a drum stool, and a drum key.
It is a 16-inch drum set in metallic wine red that weighs only 43 pounds. It is thus an ideal option for children between 3-8 years.
It is best for those parents who want to fulfill their kids’ dream of owning a new drum set but within an affordable price range.
It is a good quality 5-piece budget drum set that should serve the purpose for a long time if used with care.
- The GP logo is clearly visible on the drumheads.
- The set is a full package including drumsticks and a drum key.
- Due to the small hi-hats and stool, it is ideal for juniors of 3-8 years.
- You can play various music styles like rock, hip hop, jazz, blues, country, and reggae on it.
Here, in this read, we have tried to include some of the best cheap beginner drum sets for all ages which they can easily play without worry.
But it is on your part to assess the pros and cons of every drum set before buying out one that fulfills your purpose. We hope this article has helped you to find out that one right drum set suitable for your needs.