Midi keyboards are nothing but piano-style electronic musical keyboards with some attachments like wheels, buttons, and sliders used for sending MIDI commands through a USB or a 5-pin MIDI cable to any other musical device. These are preferably best for those who can’t afford to buy an acoustic piano or do not like the noise produced from a piano.
Fully weighted electronic keyboards are an absolute favorite of aspiring musicians who like to produce some amazing sound pieces with varying degrees on a keyboard.
Here we have created a comprehensive guide on how to distinguish between different types of fully weighted MIDI keyboards, what to look for when buying a suitable MIDI controller keyboard and what are the best ones available right now in the market.
So without further ado, let’s dive into the list of best fully weighted midi keyboards offering some great features and functions.
Let’s start the list of best fully-weighted Midi keyboards with a stylish looking 88-key keyboard from Arturia. This Arturia KeyLab88 MK2 is the star among Arturia’s other Midi keyboard controllers.
The device has an 88 note Fatar TP/100LR keybed with 16 RGB-backlit drum pads that give a fascinating feel to the player. This high-quality keyboard also features hammer action, aftertouch and velocity-sensitive piano keys that allow for some out of the world synth and orchestral sound experience. It is attached with 9 rotary knobs and faders each with transport controls for DAWs.
The device is enabled with Arturia’s own Analog Lab 4 software that has over 6000 sounds of electric pianos and synth leads. The assignable knobs can direct you to the virtual instrument automatically that’s currently selected on the software. It also has 4 CV outputs besides a CV input and 3 assignable pedal jacks on the top of the much-expected sustain pedal.
If you want a true pianistic feel while playing a keyboard then the Arturia KeyLab88 MKII with its 88 keys on the highly-admired TP100LR is an appropriate option to go for.
- This is an 88-key Midi keyboard with some professional-grade virtual features.
- The Fatar TP/100LR gives a realistic piano feel.
- Its highlighting feature is the presence of 16 backlit drum pads that can activate the clips.
- The keyboard is enabled with aftertouch, hammer-action, and velocity-sensitive functions.
- The nine assignable knobs and rotary faders can automatically map to the sample selected in its Analog Lab 4 software.
The next best fully weighted Midi Keyboard on the list is the Studiologic SL73. This is a very powerful and lightweight keyboard ideal for players who often get lost in their own composition while playing.
As the model name suggests, this is a 73-key weighted Midi controller keyboard. It adopts the latest Fatar hammer action along with aftertouch keybed technology for a realistic piano touch feeling.
There’s also the space for 6-user velocity curves through SL Editor software. But the most noticeable feature is its rugged metal casing with sculptured end caps for shielding that’s only 25 pounds so you can freely carry it around or place it on your lap to play.
It has no wheels attached for pitch modulation. Instead, it features joysticks. There are 3 X/Y stick controllers to denote various parameters. Also, the razor-sharp TFT color display feature for easy navigation makes it a must-buy device. This is attached with MIDI in/out jack and 3 pedal jacks for an expert pianist feel.
The Studiologic SL73 gives you an excellent alternative piano experience. It has quite some amazing features slightly different from other Midi controllers.
- It’s a 73-key weighted Midi keyboard with joysticks as modulation wheels with 3 x/y controllers.
- Adopts the recent Fatar hammer action keybed technology giving you a true piano touch.
- Attached with the new powerful SL software editor for easy setup.
- Ergonomic and lightweight keyboard.
- It’s a great value for money product compared to the 88-key Midi keyboards.
Now let’s have a look at our favorite pick on this list – the Hammer 88 from M-Audio. It’s an apogee among fully weighted midi keyboards.
As you have already guessed, it’s an 88-key weighted keyboard enabled with hammer action and velocity-sensitive keys, all on a slim and sleek designed framework. The evenly distributed weights under the keybed give you the premium feel of a true piano imitating even the little nuances.
You can always connect this device with the attached 5-pin MIDI DIN port to set off any external gear. Thus you can easily control and record the music through software. Moreover, it has some best in the class conveniently placed modulation, pitch, volume, and octave controlling buttons. These are easily assignable. The three-pedal inputs on the device allow for more sustainability and immersive experience.
If you want to own the supremely powerful Midi keyboard that offers some high-end features, then you must go for the M-Audio Hammer 88.
- This is an 88-key hammer action enabled Midi keyboard with a comprehensive performance software package for MAC and PC.
- The evenly weighted keybed gives a perfect piano feel to the player.
- Sports a sleek look with assignable modulation controls and pitch bend knobs beside the 3-pedal inputs.
- Comes with 3 months Skoove subscription for piano lessons.
- No drum pads attached to the keyboard.
The next best pick on the list is the featureful Doepfer LMK4+ midi master keyboard. It is the ultimate command center for your electronic music gear.
It comes with 88 fully weighted piano keys enabled with the hammer action and aftertouch. You can control the gear with the help of two MIDI outputs with an additional USB output. The associated Midi input helps it to connect to any other keyboard or bass pedal. There are assignable wheels, sliders, rotary controls, pedals, and footswitch present on the device for more convenience. There are 3 resistance levels for comprehensive control.
To give it maximum shielding, the device comes packed in a flight case with a lid that’s removable. On top of that, the device comes complete with 128 memory slots to save your configurations for later use.
This is a much-admired midi controller keyboard in the market. So you don’t have to worry about the quality of the device.
- This is a highly portable and lightweight keyboard.
- Comes with 88 full-size piano keys embedded with hammer action.
- The various functioning parameters provide maximum playability.
- With the inbuilt 128 memory slots, it helps to retain and reuse the saved configurations.
- A perfect choice for serious and experienced players.
The Impact GX61 Midi controller keyboard from Nektar is a great choice for passionate beginners. This is an advanced quality keyboard with some impressive features.
The fully-weighted 61-keys in this Midi keyboard comes with smooth synth action and the pitch bend and modulation wheels. It is integrated with Nektar DAW for a high-quality performance.
The associated 14 Midi buttons are assignable to loops, instruments, and many similar effects for software. It includes native support for Bitwig 8-track DAW, FL Studio and Cubase like a cherry on the top.
You won’t believe that it’s compatible with any MAC, PC, or iOS with equal ease. So without thinking anymore, do give it a try if you love the features of the Nektar Panorama P4 keyboard.
- It’s a 61-key weighted advanced quality MIDI controller keyboard.
- Boasts the highly accurate pitch bend and modulations control wheels besides a smooth synth action in the keys.
- It is compatible with any Mac, PC, or iOS computers.
- Includes 14 assignable Midi controller buttons and velocity-sensitive keys.
- Comes with support for Bitwig 8-track DAW.
Native Instruments has a reputation among value for money plugins and virtual instruments in the market. So their Midi controller Komplete Kontrol S88 MKII keyboard has to be among the best weighted midi keyboards to control those plugins and virtual instruments.
This is a 88 hammer action and aftertouch enabled weighted keyboard that has some smart effects and features. The pro-grade Fatar keybed makes these effects smoother and more efficient as per your desired action. The keyboard has a sleek and slim design with stylish black buttons and the dual-color screen. Moreover, to indicate different settings, the backlight of the buttons varies with intensity and color-changing effects.
As said already, the device can help you in having hands-on control over Komplete instruments and effects besides hundreds of Native Kontrol Standard plugins from some popular manufacturers. So you can enjoy any NKS compatible effect reflecting on the browser. Also, you can load the keyboard with an encoder and map it to the assignable knobs and buttons attached to it.
Thus, made in the image of Native Instruments software, this Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 Midi controller keyboard is a great choice for musicians.
- This is an 88-keys smart keyboard controller with hammer action and aftertouch.
- It has a fully-weighted Pro-grade Fatar keybed.
- It can efficiently control the native Komplete instruments and Native Kontrol Standard plugins.
- It includes Komplete 12 Select and Maschine essentials with ¼” TRS connections for expression and sustains pedals.
- You can navigate to any virtual soundbank or function from the browser on the dual-color screen.
This 88-key hammer action enabled fully weighted Midi keyboard from Studiologic is a popular choice among music composers and singers. The SL88 model from the Studiologic has some amazing features under a budget price even for the benefit of upcoming musicians.
Under an inexpensive price range, this device offers some convenient and versatile functionalities. The 88-key premium-grade TP/100LR keyboard is made of plastic and has the aftertouch and hammer action abilities. It weighs only 30 pounds so you can carry it around anywhere. Moreover, the graphic LCD-TFT display makes it more worthwhile.
There are 3 default velocity curves and a fixed curve present that has a programmable value. Also, the 3 x/y stick controllers are attached for real-time control. There’s even no connectivity issue in the device. It has two input pedals for regular sustenance, one continuous controller, and a final one that acts multi functionally. For extra protection, the device comes in a compact case making it extremely portable.
So, if you’re looking for a good quality Midi keyboard with fully weighted keys, then you should definitely give the Studiologic SL88 a thought.
- This is an 88-key modern Midi controller keyboard with some versatile and easily accessible features.
- This is a compact and lightweight Midi controller that weighs only 30 pounds.
- Each key has 6 types of editable velocity response.
- The 10 custom settings and 6 factory settings are enabled to balance the keys and set and store your own created sounds respectively.
- With only 3 real-time controllers and 2-pedals input with one pedal as a continuous controller and the other to support multifunctional settings, the keyboard has a very classic layout.
Another good quality featureful Midi controller on the list of best fully weighted Midi keyboards from Arturia is the KeyLab 88. Do you think both are the same? We don’t. Actually, it has a similar look and feels like the MK2 model, but it’s a little bit different in functionality.
It is an 88-note USB MIDI evenly distributed weighted keyboard only without the real piano feel. In fact, you can have true synth sounds on it with the help of the Analog Lab of 5000 Arturia classic synth sounds that are included in the device. You can also fast filter the presets as per your requirement either by type or by instrument or even by characteristics like bright or dark. Additionally, the owners of the Arturia Classic synthesizers can edit these in-depth presets.
Enough talking about the presets, let’s get to the striking features that the keyboard offers. Besides being touch-sensitive with the aftertouch function and faders and encoders, the keyboard also facilitates the controls and buttons for easy playability. Although it is pre-mapped, you can use the Midi control center software to customize the layout. On top of that, it has some expression pedals and breath controller inputs under a huge set of controls for expert music production.
With this Arturia KeyLab Essential 88, you can have maximum control over your created sounds. Hence it’s essential for the music producers and beatmakers.
- This is an 88-note weighted keyboard with hammer-action.
- All the inclusive presets are from Arturia classic synths.
- The presets are customizable according to the type, characteristics, and instrument.
- The keyboard is touch-sensitive and pre-mapped.
- An ideal choice for music producers and beatmakers.
Akai is a notable name in the keyboard manufacturing industry. Their Pro MPK Road88 Keyboard Midi controller, too, is a popular choice among musicians.
With an 88-key graded hammer action enabled keybed, this keyboard features velocity-sensitive function within a maneuvered multifaceted structure. It features an in-built USB interface with 4 audio outputs discarding your worry for an additional audio interface. Now you can easily monitor your PA and stage system without a separate interface.
The keyboard has a compact and responsive design with dedicated volume controls for precise main, aux, and headphone output adjustments on the front side. You can efficiently allocate the keyboard with multiple sound changes and select their presets.
Also, it comes with dual expression pedal in-out MIDI ports along with USB connectivity. But, the spotlight falls on the sturdy carrying case that the keyboard comes in. It is an integrated portable travel case with handle, thus making it ‘Road-Ready’.
The Akai Pro Road 88 fully weighted MIDI controller has an in-built interface specially designed for traveling professionals. So if you’re the same person, then go for this all-rounder!
- This is an 88-note hammer action enabled USB keyboard with the MIDI interface.
- Comes in an integrated travel-friendly, ‘road-ready’ case with handle.
- Features an on-board 4 output USB soundcard with two TRS aux and main outputs each.
- It is compatible with any standard footswitch and variable pedal.
- There’s the dedicated volume control for precise adjustments.
Want to have the majestic feel of a traditional piano while playing a keyboard? Then the next pick is just right for you. The Korg D1 Stage piano with MIDI controller gives you the same feeling.
The Korg D1 stage piano/Midi controller features the high-end Korg RH3 keybed offering hammer action and other built-in effects. It is a compact device with a classic piano look and feel. On a very simple and easy-to-use layout, the device includes various patch and effect controls besides the reverb, chorus, and touch-sensitive features.
Under a budget price, the device brings the harmonious sound of a piano at your home or stage with 30 different variations. You can even organize these into 3 different categories. There’s a damper, power input, and an in/out MIDI jack on the backside of the device but with no USB-Midi port. On the other hand, you get the full sustain pedal with key off sounds allowing for an expert touch to your music.
This is a great choice for multi-talented keyboard players who need to cut corners to buy an instrument. It’s probably the cheapest best fully weighted Midi controller on our list.
- This is an 88-key Midi controller digital piano without any USB jack.
- Features the weighted hammer action on the famous Korg RH3 keybed offering you the feel of a grand piano.
- Has a very basic and user-friendly interface.
- Enables you to add 30 different sounds with onboard effects.
- Ideal for stage and home performers.
Hey, it’s not our fault that Yamaha doesn’t have many weighted keyboards with MIDI controllers. But don’t worry, we have brought you the only fully weighted Yamaha Midi keyboard – the P125 88-Key model. This is more of a digital piano with weighted action.
With a classic compact design, the Yamaha P125 is a fully weighted 88-note digital piano with full-sized piano keys. Though it comes with hammer action keys, the graded hammer effect is slightly heavier in the low keys than the high ones. Hence it brings in the feel of an acoustic piano.
The device is meticulously engineered with the Pure CF sample that perfectly creates the sound effect of the widely acclaimed Yamaha CFIIIS concert piano. There’s a split mode present on the layout that allows you to play a different voice with both hands. As you already know, that being more like a digital piano, the device also lets you host connectivity with MIDI and audio transfer instruments with the integrated USB jack. You just need a cable to connect to your music software.
Have you been wondering why we included this instrument in the list of best fully weighted midi keyboards? It’s just that we don’t want to let down the fans of Yamaha who are looking for an identical piano feel in a keyboard. We hope this one meets your expectations.
- This is more like an 88-key fully weighted digital piano that connects to any music-making software through a single cable.
- Comes in two color variants of black and white.
- The Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) action is lighter in the high keys while being heavier in the low keys.
- The integrated pure CF sound engine reproduces the tone of a concert piano.
- The USB port hosts the connectivity for MIDI and other audio transfer assets.
We are ending the list with a featureful and stylish looking weighted Midi keyboard under budget price. This is the X6 Mini from MIdiPlus.
This keyboard features 61 fully weighted keys with no hammer action or aftertouch. But the keys have velocity sensitivity and integrated touch sensors. This way you can control the pitch and modulation of your tunes. The three segments of the keyboard are backlit LED. There’s control even for octaves and transposition of tunings.
Also, the four assignable knobs help you to customize the effects as per your need. The default settings of these customizable knobs are like volume in T1, pan in T2, expression control in T3 while the reverb stands on T4.
One thing that calls for attention in this keyboard is that it’s powered by USB alone. No plugin or driver is supported by this device, only a manual cable is attached to it. The single downside of this device is the size of the keys which are much smaller compared to other similar keyboards. But then the name becomes quite significant, the X6 Mini!
Only under $100, you get a wide range of features in the Midi plus X6 MIDI keyboard controller. If you’re a beginner and don’t want to make a hole in your wallet, then you must go for this keyboard.
- This is a MIDI keyboard with 61 fully weighted velocity-sensitive keys.
- Nice and compact design at an affordable price.
- This keyboard is only USB powered, no external power supply is needed.
- Priced only under $100, it makes an ideal choice for the entry-level players and amateurs.
- It’s 3 segments backlit LCD with capacitive touch sensors.
What are the Different Types of Fully Weighted Midi Keyboards?
There are several MIDI keyboards with controllers varying from 49 to 88 keys. Fully weighted keyboards help to imitate the action of an acoustic piano creating a familiar sound. Thus you get the sound of a traditional piano on a digital keyboard.
Weighted keys on a keyboard help to tweak and customize any deep, full piano sound with effective practice. Thus the different types of weighted keyboards depend on the number of key controllers present on the device offering pertinent finger strength and agility.
From 25-keys to 88-keys, there are many semi-weighted and fully-weighted MIDI keyboards available in the market. But the one that suits your need depends completely on the type of music style you create and the amount you can afford to spend.
If you are into versatile music style, then you should go for either 88-key or 61-key fully weighted Midi keyboards. Let’s have a look at how to select the best Midi keyboard for you.
What to Look for in the Best Fully Weighted Midi Keyboards?
The weight of the keys on a keyboard is significant as it can create a difference in your performance. Whether there are buttons or wheels or faders attached to the keyboard doesn’t matter until you have appropriate weighted keys on it.
So, as discussed earlier, fully-weighted keyboards are used to mimic the traditional piano tunes. The more fully-weighted keys are there on the keyboard the better the sound produced. This, in turn, will help to develop a taste for articulating with your audience through your performance.
For songwriters, music producers, composers, and beatmakers, fully weighted midi keyboards are ideal as they can create whatever type of music they need on these. But for amateurs and learners, semi-weighted ones are more convenient.
No matter how many key controllers are there, you need to decide at the end which weighted Midi keyboard you want for yourself depending on the choice of music you play, your comfort, and affordability. We can just help you in finding the best ones.
Are Fully Weighted Midi Keyboards Easy to Learn?
After buying one you can’t just play some basic tunes on a keyboard. You need to practice it often to develop that agility and proficiency for an effortless feeling while playing your favorite music tunes. And for this to gain, you need to have a device that offers resistance at first. Fully weighted keyboards are best for this.
As the fully weighted Midi keyboards contain small weights underneath, this can provide more resistance than a semi-weighted keyboard. As a result, you get to play natural acoustic piano sounds with more endurance.
If you are looking for that perfect pitch, you need to get the hammer action on a keyboard. This is nothing but an extra hammer mechanism that offers more resistance to the bass notes than the trebles. Also, you need to have a device that offers aftertouch action and fast response to velocity for a complete performance.
If you take a note of all the above requirements, you can be an impressive keyboard player similar to a classically-trained pianist. I guess it’s not so easy as it seems, but there’s no harm in practicing and developing a knack for perfection.
To help you achieve that perfection, we have made a list of best fully weighted Midi keyboards here. Though there’s no such option for the one that fits all, we can assure you will definitely find the one that fits your need in every way possible.
By now, you must have made up your mind on which one to buy for that perfect piano music that’s going to make you an artist. We hope the read was useful in guiding you on how to select the ideal fully-weighted midi keyboard among the best ones.
The list is full of diverse options. But, do note, whatever you decide, it’s going to affect the type of music you play. So just make sure the keyboard perfectly fits your music style.
Now it’s time to expand your creative boundaries and explore that beautiful world of music.