The Social Software Unit of the Digital Enterprise Research Institute at the National University of Ireland, Galway has openings for student internships to work on privacy and policies in mobile and distributed Social Semantic Web applications, with a special focus on SMOB and PubSubHubbub. The overall goal of the project is to extend current infrastructures for mobile and distributed Social Semantic Web applications with intelligent privacy settings interpreted in the cloud.
The internship must be at least 6 months, and the students will combine theoretical research and implementation, delivered as open-source components. Ideally, the internship will lead to the students M.Sc. thesis. The following skills are expected:
- Knowledge of the Semantic Web / Linked Data and related standards (RDF(S)/OWL, SPARQL, etc.)
- Knowledge of lightweight vocabularies for the Social Web (FOAF, SIOC, OPO)
- Knowledge of authorisation / authentication schemes and protocols
- Interest for Web Engineering and for Web standards
- Ability and interest to work in an international environment
- Motivation, creative spirit, pragmatism and independence
- Strong software development skills (PHP and Python)
- Excellent communication skills, and fluent in english
To apply, please send:
- A resume of 2 pages max, including name and e-mail address of 2 referees
- A one page letter describing your interest in the project and your availability
To alexandre DOT passant AT deri DOT org, in a single PDF file, by Friday 21st of January, with an e-mail titled “SSW internship”. Applications that do not follow these requirements will not be considered. For any question, please e-mail the same address.